Awaken the Giants | Sinisteria and Shriek Metaverse 2021
Medium: Google Tiltbrush, Altspace metaverse
I don't even know where to begin to describe this incredible project that seemed to have dominated my life for most of 2021. Awaken the Giants turned out to be an incredibly popular project especially after a very challenging covid 2020 year of 'hibernation'. I knew then as I know now that the story of what we were experiencing belonged not to each individual, but to a global audience. In order to 'tap' into the common thread, we needed to find shared spaces of hope and transition.
Special Thank you to my co-partner Nicholas Liang for making the technology 'work' in so many platforms and for helping with the difficult, quiet yet essential tasks that have led to our successes.
Origin Story: This art was designed and created as a personal interpretation of the riots that happened at the State Capital in Washington, DC (Jan 6 2021). I painted this powerful piece in Google TiltbrushVR and then released it to the world. It was a hit with so many people not only because the artwork was beautiful but because it tapped into our collective definition of who we thought we were as a species.
Events/Shows: A HUGE thank you to all of these people who supported us!
- The Story Hour, a popular youtube series (Thank you Brian and Allison)
- VR Art Live Chromasnare Tours & XR Atlanta
- Burning Man Festival 2021 BRCvr event 2021
- VIFF (Vancouver Immersive International Film) & V-Unframed 2021
- Hawaii International Film Festival where we submitted three pieces in AR, VR and 360 film format - QLDXR Festival in Brisbane Australia where our work was recognized in the category of 'Best of XR Experiences'.
Recently, this project received the status of top 50 XR Experience nominees at the upcoming Aurea Awards, an event that I've been dreaming to be a part of since I was invited to attend last year.
There were hidden 'easter egg' locations in the world that were created exclusively to bring people together to share poetry, music, musings.
There have been so many highlights this year that I'm still in the midst of sorting everything. Some memorable moments included:
1) having our artwork grace the cover of ScreenRant Magazine!
2) a Shout out and RT from MC Hammer himself
3) Many interviews on so many platforms and channels
4) A chance to discuss art with SUTU and the Hawaii International Film Festival as one of their special XR Guests (I really wanted to be there in person)
5) An amazing moment speaking in session with amazing world creators in Altspace as part of a diversity-led group at the hugely popular WebXR Design Summit.
I look forward to doing more art in the future and opportunities to sell my work as NFT's.
Being able to represent British Columbia (my home province) at VIFF Immersed was deeply gratifying.
I'm hugely grateful to Caitlin Burns for moderating such a memorable and fun interview.
Here are a few highlights of the year
I was honored and delighted to have my work featured in DIGIBC's official Sizzle Reel 2021.
Here is our small reel honouring the folks at Burning Man (apologies, it's low resolution)
What our Visitors Said:
"How can anybody think of this? This is so dope! It's story and art combined"!
"How did they do this? This is a GAME CHANGER"
"You killed it" "This is my favourite world"
"Your world was the epitome of Burning Man for me. I have no words".